The Motor Vehicle Department serves as an agent for the State Department of Revenue / Division of Vehicles and is responsible for vehicle registration, titling, issuing license plates, and driver’s license renewals.
Motor Vehicle Extensions due to COVID-19
Title Work/Registration Renewals Extensions
There are extensions for some transactions, per Governor Kelly’s most recent executive order signed on July 8, 2020. Kansas residents who have purchased a new or used vehicle between January 1, 2020 and May 31, 2020, will have an extended time period to title and register their vehicle. The deadline depends on when you purchased the vehicle. The new deadlines according to Executive Order No. 20-55 are:
- August 31, 2020 for vehicles purchased in Jan 2020
- September 30, 2020 for vehicles purchased in Feb 2020
- October 31, 2020 for vehicles purchased in March 2020
- November 30, 2020 for vehicles purchased in April 2020
- December 31, 2020 for vehicles purchased in May 2020
Registration renewals from March 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020 must be renewed by November 14, 2020. Registration renewals beginning July 1, 2020 and going forward must be renewed with the regularly scheduled month.
You do not have to visit the office to process renewals. You may utilize the online payment option, drop box or mail in your payments. To reprint your vehicle renewal notice, you may click HERE.
Accepted Methods of Payment
- Renew Vehicle Registration Online with KS Web-Tags. To renew online using a credit/debit card or by eCheck you must have your PIN number located on your vehicle registration application. Please allow 7 to 10 business days to receive you registration receipt and decal by mail. Please remember to save your confirmation number. There will be a convenience fee charged by the payment processor for this service. Some registrations may not qualify for electronic renewal.
- Renew by Mail. To renew by mail you may send a check, money order or cashier’s check along with valid proof of insurance. You may write one check if renewing multiple vehicles. Please allow 7 to 10 business days to receive your registration and decal by mail.
- In Person. To renew in person you may use cash, credit card, check, money order or cashier’s check. As of January 1, 2014, a $2.50 facility fee will be assessed per vehicle renewal on all transactions done in office. To avoid this fee, you can mail your renewals to our office or utilize the drop box. There is a convenience fee charged by the payment processor of 2.49% for using a credit card (the County does not retain any portion of this fee). Every measure of safety and reliability has been implemented in regards to this transaction process.
- Drop Box. If you are paying by check, money order or cashier’s check, you may utilize the drop box located on the south side of the Miami County Administration Building.
There will be a $30.00 service charge for each returned check, eCheck or credit/debit card payment.