Planning & Zoning
Public Courthouse Informational Tours September 29, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and October 9, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Additional Info...
All non-emergency service departments are closed for training on October 9. Training is essential for the employees, and for the public we serve. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you.
For information regarding the Miami County K-68 Expansion Project (KDOT Project No. KA-2373-04), we encourage you to visit the State's project website.
- Processing applications for subdividing land (preliminary plats, final plats, lot splits, boundary line adjustments and parcel mergers)
- Processing rezoning applications (changing from one zoning district to another)
- Processing conditional use permits (requests for specific uses in designated zoning districts where the uses are not permitted by right, but could be allowed under certain conditions)
- Processing site plans (plans that show the development improvements and uses proposed for a specific property)
- Processing appeals, exceptions and variances from the requirements outlined in the Zoning Regulations
The Department administers the Comprehensive Plan (a guide for growth and development in Miami County), Subdivision Regulations (standards and requirements for subdividing land), and Zoning Regulations (standards and requirements for developing and using land in specific zoning districts).
Boards & Commissions
The Department serves as staff liaison for the Miami County Planning Commission and the Miami County Board of Zoning Appeals. The Planning Commission meets the first Tuesday of each month. The Board of Zoning Appeals meets the third Wednesday of each month on an as-needed basis.
Information that may be obtained from the Planning & Zoning Dept. includes:
- Zoning and land use designations of specific property or surrounding properties by referencing the zoning and comprehensive plan maps;
- Determining whether a property is located within a floodplain;
- Which types of business uses are allowed in specific zoning districts;
- How closely buildings or structures may be located near property lines (setback requirements);
- The minimum lot size for dividing property; and
- How to rezone, subdivide, or develop property, according to the Regulations.
The Comprehensive Plan, Zoning and Subdivision Regulations, Zoning Map, applications, and procedures may be amended from time to time. Information obtained from this site should be verified with the Planning & Zoning Dept. by calling 913-294-9553 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.